Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Soulforce Equality Rider's Perspective on GA

In 10th Grade, Brian heard his Presbyterian youth pastor say, "We don't even need to talk about why gay is wrong, right?" Years later with a Soulforce Equality Ride under his belt, Brian writes about where he is today and what he hopes for at the 219th General Assembly.
Today, I attend Marble Collegiate Church in New York City. Marble is the oldest Protestant church in North America and the founding member of the Reformed Church in America, a denomination which, like the Presbyterian Church (USA), still does not treat LGBT people as equals. My faith, and passion for justice, has been kindled at Marble, mostly by my pastor David Lewicki, who is ordained in the PC(USA) church. I recognize now that the prophets of the Hebrew Bible, the Christ we worship, the early Church, and Christians throughout the ages have been voices for an ever-widdening circle of inclusion and acceptance and of justice for the oppressed. We are convinced that the circle must include queer, trans, and gay people.

I would not be where I am today if it were not for the inspiration of Jack Rogers, the guidance of David Lewicki, and countless other saints and sheroes. I do not know where I would be, but I am almost certain that I would not be a Christian. It is also under Rev. Lewicki that I have returned to many traditional aspects of Christian teaching: prayer, ritual, original sin, repentance, action, and the importance of church communities.

And so I look with expectation to the upcoming General Assembly in Minneapolis. The Presbyterian Church (USA) has a remarkable opportunity before her. She can join with voices throughout the ages who have struggled for justice, she can boldly speak the truth even if it is unpopular or costly, she can be a light for the world, and she can save the lives of untold young people who are sitting in their churches and classrooms wondering “Is there something wrong with me?”
Soulforce plans to hold a pray in at the 219th General Assembly.

1 comment:

Jason Conner said...

Find out more about the Soulforce 'Pray In' here:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=130936533607436&ref=mf

Post a Comment