Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dawn Black's Words to the General Assembly on Motion to End Marriage Discussion

Dawn Black's words to the General Assembly against the motion that would use the special report on civil unions and marriage to end discussion of pro-LGBT marriage overtures. The motion passed.

Madame Moderator my name is Dawn Black and I am a TSAD from LPTS. I speak against this motion. On December 6, 2008 my brother, Bradley Gibbs Ciliberto was joined in legal marriage to my brother-in-law Christopher Gibbs Ciliberto in Darien, Connecticut to the joy and excitement of our entire family. This event occurred in a court house, not a church. It was officiated by a Justice of the Peace, and not a Minister of Word and Sacrament. I believe in the sanctity of marriage and my Christian faith calls me to believe that being married in the eyes of God should be done by a Minister in the Church. I was married in the Presbyterian Church and was allowed to do so based on society’s rules and regulations, those rules are now growing and changing and the church needs to respond to this growth, or be left in the dust. We continue to speak about decreasing numbers in the church. I joined the church I was married in. As I imagine others who were married in a church may have done so as well. How many out there will join us when we become inclusive of all people?

I stand in against this motion and I will hopefully by the grace of God stand for and in a church with joy and in witness on June 4, 2011 at the welcoming and inclusive marriage of two of my dearest friends, two Christian Presbyterian Lesbian children of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment